2 red delicious apples
1 1/2 cups & 2 tablespoons apple juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 1/2 cups bulgur
1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
1/2 cup dry roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped
- Chop the apple into small chunks and sprinkle with 2 tablespoons apple juice to prevent browning.
- Place 1 1/2 cups apple juice into a heavy bottomed sauce pan and add the vanilla extract, spice, salt and orange zest.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Stir in the bulgur, then cover and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer the bulgur for approximately 15 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Mix in the apple chunks, dried cranberries and peanuts.
- To serve, cereal can be eaten hot or cold, with or without milk.
Makes 4 servings