This slightly-sweet and savory banana bread can be a treat all on its own. Or, smear a toasted slice with a thin layer of peanut butter and you’ve got a delicious, fiber- and protein-packed breakfast with a sweet edge.
Peanut Butter Banana BreadPrint Recipe
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas, about 4 bananas
1/3 cup plain yogurt or buttermilk
1/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 large eggs
¾ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup of raisins
1 ½ cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup ground flaxseed meal
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9×5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, flaxseed meal, baking soda, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mashed bananas, yogurt or buttermilk, peanut butter and melted butter. Whisk in eggs, sugar, vanilla and raisins.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients. Fold together with a spatula until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 20 minutes before inverting the bread onto a wire rack to cool completely.
This bread lasts, well-wrapped at room temperature, for up to 4 days. It is also great to store, well wrapped, in the freezer.
Makes one 9×5 inch loaf