Meet another one of AmericasPBFarmers, Thomas Adams. Thomas is a third-generation farmer working in Newville, Alabama. Together with his father, the pair tend to nearly 800 acres of peanuts on their 2,100-acre farm. As Thomas likes to say, “the best foods are memories,” and for the Adams family, that means his mom’s Peanut Butter Squares.
1 package (17.5 ounces) Betty Crocker peanut butter cookie mix
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon water
3 cups miniature marshmallows
2/3 cup light corn syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 bag (10 ounces) peanut butter chips
2 cups crispy rice cereal
2 cups salted roasted peanuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray bottom of a 13 x 9 inch pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together cookie mix, oil, water and egg until soft dough forms. Press dough into prepared pan.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until set. Immediately sprinkle marshmallows over crust. Bake 1-2 minutes until marshmallows begin to puff. Remove from oven.
- In a 4-quart saucepan, heat corn syrup, butter, vanilla and peanut butter chips over low heat, stirring constantly until chips are melted and smooth. Remove from heat.
- Stir in cereal and peanuts and immediately spoon mixture evenly over the marshmallow layer.
- Refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm. Cut into bars and serve.