3 tablespoons butter
1 small Vidalia onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons flour
3-4 cups hot chicken stock or broth
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup natural peanut butter (no sugar added)
Juice of 1/2 - 1 lime (to taste)
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium low heat, add onions, celery and carrots and cook for about 10 minutes, until onions become translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Whisk flour into the onion mixture, cook for 1 minute, then whisk in the hot chicken stock.
- Turn the heat up to medium. While stirring, cook 5 minutes until moderately thickened.
- Next, whisk in the heavy cream and peanut butter, heat the soup through but do not bring to a boil. Stir in the lime juice.
- Serve with optional toppings such as chopped toasted peanuts, scallions, cilantro, cayenne or hot sauce.
This soup is also delicious served chilled.