This is a favorite recipe of one of AmericasPBFarmers, B. Jones. A fourth-generation farmer, B. grows nearly 600 acres of peanuts on his farm in Ridgeland, Mississippi on the edge of the Delta. His family loves to use peanuts and peanut butter to put a Thai spin on fresh gulf shrimp.
Shrimp Pad ThaiPrint Recipe
2 pounds fresh gulf shrimp, peeled and chopped in bite size pieces
1 package (12 oz) of Pad Thai noodles, cooked as directed
1/4 cup peanut oil
1/2 bunch of green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1-2 teaspoons chili sauce, depending on heat preference
3 tablespoons peanut butter
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
Crushed red pepper to taste
2 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups bean sprouts
1/2 cup roasted salted peanuts, crushed
- Heat peanut oil over medium heat in a wok. Add green onions and garlic.Cook for a few minutes until brown.
- In a bowl, mix fish sauce, chili sauce, peanut butter, soy sauce, vinegar, crushed red peppers and sugar.
- Add shrimp to the onions and garlic; cook until shrimp starts to change color.
- Push shrimp, onions and garlic to one side of the wok and add eggs to the open side. Scramble the eggs as they cook.
- When the eggs and shrimp are cooked, add noodles and bean sprouts to wok. Remove from heat and toss.
- Pour sauce over everything and toss well.
- To with crushed peanuts. Serve with cilantro and lime wedges.