Peanut Butter Rye BreadPrint Recipe
3 lbs water, 110°
1 ¼ oz yeast, dry
3 oz sugar, granulated
2 lb flour, rye
3 lb flour, unbleached, all purpose
1 ½ oz salt
2 oz shortening
2 oz molasses
1 ¼ oz caraway seeds, whole
8 oz peanut butter, creamy
14 oz peanut butter, extra crunchy
- Pour the warm water into the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Let set 8 to 10 minutes until yeast begins to foam.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a separate bowl. Add to the mixer bowl once the yeast has started to foam.
- Mix on low speed for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Proof in a proofing box or place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover and proof in a warm area until the dough has doubled in size.
- Punch-down the proofed dough and scale into 21 ounce pieces. Shape into smooth round balls, and place into lightly oiled loaf pans. Cover and rest the dough for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Eggwash the exposed top surface and bake at 375°F for 21 to 24 minutes until top crust is deep rich rusty brown color and the loaf resonates with a hollow thud when thumped with a finger.
- Remove loaves from baking pans quickly and place on cooling rack(s).
CCP: Store in airtight containers.
Shelf Life: 72 hours