A homemade healthy-ish granola that’s a little on the indulgent side…we’re looking at you chocolate. Peanut butter chocolate lovers rejoice! Sprinkle this Chocolate PB Granola on top of a bowl of cottage cheese or Greek yogurt and fruit or enjoy it by the handful. Sprinkle on extra sea salt for those times when you need to replace some lost electrolytes.
Recipe courtesy of Kristina LaRue, RD, CSSD at www.loveandzest.com.
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 cup old fashioned oats
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut chips, divided
1/2 cup salted peanuts
1/4 cup dark chocolate chunks
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F; line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix peanut butter, coconut oil, honey, vanilla extract and cocoa powder together until combined.
- Stir in oats, flax, 1/2 cup coconut, and peanuts until fully combined.
- Press granola mixture down onto lined baking sheet to form a large "cookie", about a half inch thick; baked for 25-30 minutes.
- Allow granola to cool and break into large chunks and gently mix with chocolate chunks and remaining 1/4 cup coconut.
Nutrition [per 1/4 cup]: 181 calories, 12 grams fat, 7 grams saturated fat, 0 milligrams cholesterol, 67 milligrams sodium, 15 grams carbohydrate, 2 grams fiber, 8 grams sugar, 4 grams protein, 6% iron.