2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 ripe bananas, the browner the better
1/2 cup lite sour cream
4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temp
2 tablespoons canola oil
3/4 cups sugar
2 large eggs at room temp
1 large egg white at room temp
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Peanut Butter Filling:
Approximately 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
4 slices bacon
1/2 cup brown sugar
8 oz. low fat cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- Heat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake tins with paper liners and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- To make the batter, in a medium size bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine and set aside.
- In small bowl mash bananas and add sour cream. Mix well and set aside.
- Using an electric hand mixer, beat butter, oil and sugar until incorporated (about 3-5 minutes). Add eggs, egg white and vanilla. Mix until combined. Slowly add half the dry ingredients and mix until almost incorporated. Add the sour cream and banana mixture and gently fold into batter. Add the rest of the dry ingredients until combined.
- Spoon batter into lined cupcake pans. Bake 18 to 20 minutes and let cool.
- Once cool (about 30-45 minutes), use a paring knife to cut a small circle in the middle of the top of the cupcakes and remove the plug, creating a well about halfway down the cupcake. Add peanut butter to a piping bag and fill each hole. Set aside.
- In medium size bowl, dredge both sides of bacon slices in brown sugar. Place on foil lined baking sheet; Bake in 350-degree oven for 10 minutes. Flip bacon and bake another 6-8 minutes. Remove bacon from oven and place on plate to cool. Do not put bacon on paper towels - it will stick. Once cool, chop the bacon and set aside.
- To make the frosting, in a large bowl combine cream cheese, butter, peanut butter and vanilla extract. Mix until combined. Add the confectioner's sugar and mix until well combined.
- Add frosting to a piping bag. Pipe a dollop of frosting onto each cupcake and sprinkle with candied bacon pieces.